Effective Date: November 1, 2021
Uses of personal information
Identifiers: such as a real name, alias, address, VIN, IP address and online identifiers, email address, account name, SSN, driver’s license number and other government identifiers, or other unique personal identifiers.
Providing our Services
Safety, recall and warranty
Analyzing and improving our Services
Personalizing content and experiences
Marketing and promotional purposes
In support of our general business operations
Securing and protecting our rights
Complying with legal obligations
Customer records: paper and electronic customer records containing personal information, such as name, signature, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, SSN, driver’s license number, and other government identifiers, insurance policy number, financial account number and other financial or payment information and medical information.
Commercial information: including records of property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, vehicle ownership reports, or other purchasing or use histories.
|Internet or other electronic network usage data: including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding interactions with an internet website, application, or advertisement, including access logs and other usage data related to your use of any company websites, applications or other online services.|
Geolocation data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.
Audio, video and other electronic data: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as, CCTV footage, photographs, and call recordings and other audio recording (e.g., recorded meetings).
Employment history: professional or employment-related information
Education information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
|Biometric information: physiological, biological or behavioral characteristics that can be used alone or in combination with each other to establish individual identity. For example, if you enroll we may collect and process biometrics (e.g., fingerprint or facial recognition) as part of certain features and services, such as digital key and other vehicle services that enable your access using your biometric access credentials, subject to your consent as required under applicable laws.|
Profiles, inferences and trends: including inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile reflecting a resident’s preferences, characteristics, behavior or attitudes.
California residents. If you are a California resident, please be sure to review the section Additional Information for California Residents below for important information, as required by California privacy laws, about the categories of personal information we collect and disclose and your rights under California privacy laws, including your right to submit a “Do Not Sell My Info” request (i.e., to opt out of the sale of your personal information.
Additional Privacy Notices. We may also provide additional privacy notices and terms that apply to specific services, which are incorporated here by reference, such as:
- Hyundai Vehicle Technologies and Services Privacy Notice, which applies to and provides additional information about our collection, use and disclosure of personal information related to our vehicle technologies and services.
- Hyundai Drive Privacy Notice, which provides information about our collection, use, and disclosure of personal information related to the Hyundai Drive test drive application.
- Connected Services Terms and Conditions, which constitute the agreement for the provision of connected vehicle services
Personal Information. Personal information includes any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated, or reasonably linked or linkable with a particular individual or household. Personal information includes information that can identify you, such as contact information, vehicle ownership information, geolocation data, web tracking information, payment card information, and demographic data.
Not Covered by this Policy. This Policy does not apply to job applicants and candidates who apply for employment with us, or to employees and non-employee workers. It does not apply to the collection, use, and disclosure of personal information by independently owned and operated dealers or businesses.
Our Services are intended for use and access by U.S. residents only. Hyundai does not knowingly collect, process, access or intend to access the personal information of persons residing outside of the U.S., including in Europe and China. If you do not reside in the U.S., you should visit the Hyundai-affiliated website that is applicable to your country or region.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Services or interactions with us. We may combine the information we collect from these various sources.
Sources of Personal Information. The personal information we collect varies depending upon the circumstances. For example, we collect personal information when you engage with Hyundai, its dealers, or its service providers directly, such as when buying a vehicle, registering for a service or creating an account, requesting information from us, making part or service requests; participating in promotional activities, such as surveys, sweepstakes, contests, special events, blogs and chats; or when you contact us or otherwise voluntarily provide information to us.
Hyundai also automatically collects usage data when you use Hyundai’s Services. This may include data collected via cookies and web beacons; web analytics and log files; and vehicle, driver, and connected services usage data. Please see below for additional information regarding our collection of this type of information. Some of our Services may capture and record geolocation and general location data about your vehicle. If you visit a physical Hyundai location, we may use CCTV and other security monitoring to secure our premises, which may lead to the collection of personal information about visitors to our premises.
In addition, Hyundai may also obtain information about you and your vehicle in a number of other ways. For example, we may obtain information about you or your vehicle from vehicle sales records and other public sources, from Hyundai affiliates and business partners such as satellite radio and roadside assistance programs, Hyundai dealers (which are all independently owned and operated), and other sources that provide us leads including lists of potential vehicle purchasers or current owners.
Categories of Personal Information. Certain privacy laws, such as the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”), require that we disclose the categories of personal information that we may collect about individuals. While the actual information we collect varies depending upon the circumstances, generally we may collect the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers: such as a real name, alias, address, VIN, IP address and online identifiers, email address, account name, SSN, driver’s license number and other government identifiers, or other unique personal identifiers.
- Customer records: paper and electronic customer records containing personal information, such as name, signature, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, SSN, driver’s license number, and other government identifiers, insurance policy number, financial account number and other financial or payment information and medical information.
- Commercial information: including records of property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, vehicle ownership reports, or other purchasing or use histories.
- Internet or other electronic network usage data: including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding a resident’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, including access logs and other usage data related to your use of any company websites, applications or other online services.
- Geolocation data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.
- Audio, video and other electronic data: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as, CCTV footage, photographs, and call recordings and other audio recording (e.g., recorded meetings).
- Employment history: professional or employment-related information.
- Biometric information: physiological, biological or behavioral characteristics that can be used alone or in combination with each other to establish individual identity. For example, if you enroll we may collect and process biometrics (e.g., fingerprint or facial recognition) as part of certain features and services, such as digital key and other vehicle services that enable your access using your biometric access credentials, subject to your consent as required under applicable laws.
- Education information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Profiles, inferences and trends: including inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile reflecting a resident’s preferences, characteristics, behavior or attitudes.
Hyundai uses the information collected above in a number of ways. And we may use your information individually or combine it with other information to generate aggregate statistical information. The primary uses of your information include:
- Running our business and providing our Services: to provide and maintain our Services; to improve our Services; to authenticate users; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; to communicate with you about our Services, vehicles and other products and services; to respond to your requests; to administer events that you participate in; to fulfill your orders and process your payments; to provide technical support; and for other customer service and support purposes.
- Safety, recall and warranty: for safety, recall and warranty purposes, such as to send recall notices, process recall and warranty claims, and for other purposes related to vehicle safety.
- Analyzing and improving our Services and offerings: to better understand how users access and use our vehicles, other products, and the Services; for research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations; to develop new features, products, or services; and to otherwise improve our Services and user experiences.
- Personalizing content and experiences: to tailor content we send or display on the Services in order to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions and to otherwise personalize your experiences; to reach you with more relevant ads and to measure ad campaigns.
- Marketing and promotional purposes: to send you newsletters, offers or other information we think may interest you; to contact you about our products, services or information we think may interest you; to administer promotions and contests; and to promote other services we offer.
- In support of our general business operations: where necessary to the administration of our general business, accounting, record keeping and legal functions, including to analyze operational and business results and risks, to collect outstanding amounts owed, and maintain business records.
- Securing and protecting our rights: to protect our business operations, secure our network and information technology, assets and services; to prevent and detect fraud, unauthorized activities, access and other misconduct; where we believe necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected violations of our Terms and other agreements with you, as well as fraud, illegal activities and other situations involving potential threats to the rights or safety of any person or third party.
- Complying with legal requests and obligations: to comply with the law or legal proceedings. For example, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, court orders, and other lawful requests by regulators and law enforcement, including responding to national security or law enforcement disclosure requirements.
Anonymous and De-identified Information. We also may de-identify information and create anonymous and aggregated data sets and reports in order to assess, improve, and develop our business, products, and services; prepare benchmarking reports; and for other research and analytics purposes.
We disclose personal information to provide and improve our Services; to reach you with more relevant information and offers; to support recall, warranty and safety purposes; to provide you with information about third party offers you may be interested in; to honor your consent or authorization; and to achieve other purposes set out below:
- Affiliates and Subsidiaries: Hyundai may share your personal information with Hyundai Motor Company, our parent company headquartered in South Korea and our subsidiaries. Hyundai may also share your personal information with our finance affiliate Hyundai Capital America and our R&D affiliate Hyundai America Technical Center, Inc., both located in the United States.
- Service providers and suppliers: We may disclose personal information to our vendors, service providers, suppliers, contractors or agents who use such data in order to perform functions on our behalf.
- Marketing partners and third parties: Hyundai may share personal information, including information about users of Services or vehicle owner information, with third parties including our affiliates and subsidiaries, authorized dealers, and licensees. In addition, personal information may be used by our business partners, including marketing and promotional partners, to conduct joint marketing programs with Hyundai, show you advertisements about our products and services on third party sites, and to offer you other valuable products and services. We may share personal information, such as name, contact information and other data about your vehicles or interests, with our authorized dealers in your area so that they may contact you about your vehicle needs and purchase plans, or otherwise reach out to you for marketing purposes.
- Participating vendors: Some of our Services offer opportunities to make purchases online from special participating vendors. For Services with online purchase opportunities for products and merchandise, we may also give participating vendors the order information and authorization for the merchant bank. Any time you order from a participating vendor, that vendor will automatically have all the information related to the order. Participating vendors may use that information to advise you directly of other products and offerings that they provide.
- Credit card companies and payment services: In some cases, we use third party payment and transaction services to facilitate your transactions and process your orders. In such cases, we will share your personal information and credit card information with third party payment services companies solely for the purpose of completing the transaction or processing your order.
- Public postings: You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose information, personal or otherwise, online in any community area (whether through Hyundai’s websites or any other Service available online), that information can be collected and used by others. Accordingly, you should use caution when sharing any personal information or other sensitive information with others in any community area (whether through Hyundai’s websites or any other Service available online).
- Business transfers: We may disclose and transfer personal information as part of any merger, acquisition, financing, sale of company assets or interests in the respective company, or in the case of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, including during negotiations related to such business transfers.
- Legal compliance and lawful requests: We may disclose your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding, in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process, or to cooperate with investigations or lawful requests, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or government entities.
De-identified and Aggregated Data. We may share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties for research, marketing, analytics, and other purposes, provided such information does not reasonably identify you.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed. Certain privacy laws, such as the CCPA, require that we tell you about the categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose as well as the categories that we have “sold”. Please review the section Categories of Personal Information Collected above for further descriptions of each category of personal information.
- Disclosed for a business purpose. In general, we may disclose the following categories of personal information for the business purposes described above:
|Categories of personal information disclosed for our business purposes||Categories of third parties to whom this information was disclosed|
|Identifiers||Affiliates and subsidiaries; dealers; service providers and suppliers; marketing partners; digital advertising and analytics providers; payment services companies; and government entities.|
|Customer records||Affiliates and subsidiaries; dealers; service providers and suppliers; marketing partners; payment services companies; and government entities.|
|Commercial information||Affiliates and subsidiaries; dealers; service providers and suppliers; marketing partners; digital advertising and analytics providers; payment services companies; and government entities.|
|Identifiable internet or other electronic network activity information||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; marketing partners; digital advertising and analytics providers; and government entities.|
|Geolocation data||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; and government entities|
|Audio, visual, and other electronic data||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; and government entities.|
|Employment history||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; and government entities.|
|Education information||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; and government entities.|
|Profiles and inferences||Affiliates and subsidiaries; service providers and suppliers; marketing partners; digital advertising and analytics providers; payment services companies; and government entities.|
- Disclosed with your consent. With your consent, we do disclose or make available certain personal information to third parties including dealers and other third party providers.
Sold. The CCPA defines a “sale” as disclosing or making available to a third party personal information in exchange for monetary or other valuable consideration. While we do not disclose personal information to third parties in exchange for direct monetary compensation from such third parties, we do disclose or make available personal information to third parties, in order to receive certain services or benefits from them—for example, when we allow third party tags to collect information such as browsing history on our Sites to improve and measure our ad campaigns. Under the CCPA, we may “sell” (as defined by the CCPA): identifiers, customer records, commercial information\, internet or other electronic network usage data, and profiles and inferences to affiliates and subsidiaries, marketing partners, digital advertising and analytics providers.
Cookies. We may collect certain information regarding website activities through the use of HTTP cookies which are small files stored on your web browser. Cookies enable us to track website usage so that we may better target the interests of our users and enhance their experience on our websites as well as to remember user preferences and optimize the design of our Sites and other Services. You can set your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
Web beacons. Some of our web pages, commercial email messages and/or newsletters may contain electronic images known as web beacons, which are also called single-pixel GIFs. Web beacons collect information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides. Web beacons are a technique we may use to enhance and personalize the Sites and Services we offer, to provide product information and advertisements that are more relevant to your interests, compile aggregated statistics about the usage of our Sites and other Services, improve and personalize our advertising, and to track the number of users who have opened and acted upon our commercial email messages.
Log files. We collect log information to analyze trends, administer our Sites and the Services, track users’ movement around our Sites and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in improving the Sites and other Services.
Do Not Track. Our Sites and other Services do not support Do Not Track at this time. Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For all the details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit donottrack.us.
Custom Audiences and Matching. We may share certain hashed customer list information (such as your email address) with third parties—such as Facebook and Google—so that we can better target ads and content to our customers, and others with similar interests, within their services. These third parties use the personal information we provide to help us target ads and to enforce their terms, but we do not permit them to use or share the data we submit with other third-party advertisers.
Cookies and Tracking Choices. If you would like to opt-out of third party collection of information on our Sites via cookies and similar tracking technologies, you can Manage Preferences. This tool provides you with information about the third parties that collect information via cookies and similar technologies and allows you to opt out of such collection. You will need to visit Manage Preferences on all of the browsers and devices you use to access our websites. If you clear cookies on your browser, you will need to reset your preferences at Manage Preferences.
In addition, for more information or to opt out of third party advertising cookies and tags, you may visit www.privacyrights.info/. You may also obtain more information about targeted or “interest-based advertising” by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance. Opting out of participating ad networks does not opt you out of being served advertising. You may continue to receive generic or “contextual” ads on our Services. You may also continue to receive targeted ads on other websites, from companies that do not participate in the above programs.
You may access, delete and update certain of your personal information by accessing and adjusting your account settings, or by contacting us as specified below. Please note that we may maintain copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted, as permitted, in our business records and in the normal course of our business operations.
Opting-Out of Certain Communications. Hyundai offers you the opportunity to opt-out from marketing communications from Hyundai, and to opt out of certain disclosures of personal information to third parties.
- You may opt-out of marketing emails or manage your subscription preferences for emails from us at any time by using the unsubscribe mechanism within any marketing email we send to you. Even if you opt out, we may still send you non-commercial emails, such as registration confirmation, Vehicle updates, and responses to direct requests.
- If you wish to opt-out or request that we cease sending you commercial or other information via phone or postal mail, you may opt out by submitting a request at our Contact Us page.
- You may also opt out of our sharing of your personal information with third parties for marketing purpose by submitting a request at our Contact Us page.
Accessing and Updating Your Information. If you register for an account, including accounts to access and use the Services, you can access and update certain information we have relating to your account within your account settings. For Bluelink services, this can be done on the My Account page of MyHyundai.com. You may also update or delete your contact information by submitting a request at our Contact Us page. Please note that we may maintain copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted, as permitted, in our business records and in the normal course of our business operations.
If you have opted out of receiving future emails from us, we will implement your opt-out request within ten (10) business days of receiving the opt-out request. If you have opted out of receiving future promotional materials by regular mail, we will implement your opt-out request within a commercially reasonable time. In those instances, we will retain your information in a “do not promote” file in our database, and you will receive no further communications from us except as required by law.
California Residents. California residents have certain rights, under California privacy laws, regarding their personal information, which are set forth in the Additional Information for California Residents section below.
The Security of Your Information
We use security policies, procedures, and tools which are designed to safeguard the personal information we collect. However, the security of information transmitted through the Internet can never be guaranteed regardless of the level of security. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the Internet or for changes to or losses of data. Users of our Services are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any of our website. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of any of the Sites, without notice, pending an investigation, if any security issue arises. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure areas of any of the Sites are restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution or civil action.
Third Party Sites
We may offer links to or from our Sites to other websites within the Hyundai family as well as to websites, services, and resources operated by third parties. We offer links to third party websites so that you can conveniently visit our vendors and advertisers or locate other content likely to be of interest to you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, content or policies of websites operated by third parties and urge you to inquire about their privacy and information sharing practices before providing any personal information. In the event that you provide personal information to any third-party website or service, you understand that Hyundai is not responsible for such third parties’ use or misuse of your personal information. You further acknowledge and agree that Hyundai shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such third-party website, service, or resource.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from any person under the age of thirteen (13) as they are not of driving age. No parts of our products or services are directed to or designed to attract anyone under the age of thirteen (13).
How to Contact Us
Please visit our Contact Us page.
This section provides information for California residents about their rights regarding their personal information, as required under California privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”).
Right to Opt Out (“Do Not Sell”). California residents have the right to opt-out of our sale of their personal information for all purposes, including direct marketing by third parties. Opt-out rights can be exercised by submitting a Do Not Sell request via our Personal Information Request Portal. We do not sell personal information about residents who we know are younger than 16 years old without opt-in consent. To opt-out of the sharing, including sales, of personal information with third parties that collect information from our Sites via cookies or similar tracking technologies, you can Manage Preferences. You will need to visit Manage Preferences on all of the browsers and devices you use to access our websites. If you clear cookies on your browser, you will need to reset your preferences at Manage Preferences.
Verifiable Requests to Delete, and Requests to Know. Subject to certain exceptions, California residents have the right to make the following requests:
- Right of Deletion: California residents have the right to request deletion of their personal information that we have collected about them, subject to certain exemptions, and to have such personal information deleted, except where necessary for any of a list of exempt purposes.
- Right to Know – Specific Information: California residents have the right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about them in the prior 12 months and to have this delivered, free of charge.
- Right to Know – Categories of Personal Information: California residents have the right to request that we provide them certain information about how we have handled their personal information in the prior 12 months, including the:
- categories of personal information collected;
- categories of sources of personal information;
- categories of personal information about them we have disclosed for a business purpose or sold;
- categories of third parties to whom we have sold or disclosed for a business purpose their personal information;
- the business or commercial purposes for collecting or selling their personal information; and
- a copy of the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about them.
Right to Non-discrimination. California residents have the right not to be subject to discriminatory treatment for exercising their rights under the CCPA.
Submitting Requests. You may submit requests to us at our Personal Information Request Portal. In addition, you may make certain requests to us by contacting as at: (800) 633-5151 (toll free). If you choose to submit a request via our portal, you will be able to track the status of your request. In order to make a request, you will need to provide us with your name, email address, telephone number, and mailing address. If you provide this information via our portal, we will send you an email or text message to verify the information is correct.
Please note that we may require additional information from you in order to verify your request.
Authorized agents may submit requests to us at our Personal Information Request Portal. If you are submitting a request through an authorized agent, the authorized agent must confirm their relationship with you. We may also request that any authorized agents verify their identity, including by providing information about themselves, such as their name, email, phone number, and address. We may reach out to you directly to confirm that you have provided the agent with your permission to submit the request on your behalf.
There may be circumstances where we will not be able to honor your request. For example, if you request deletion, we may need to retain certain personal information to comply with our legal obligations or other permitted purposes. However, we will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify your identity or authority to make the request.
Shine the Light. You may exercise your rights under California’s Shine the Light law (Civil Code Section 1798.83) by utilizing the Do Not Sell My Personal Information request on the Personal Information Request Portal.