Effective Date: January 1, 2020
Categories of personal information collected
Uses of personal information
Identifiers: such as a real name, alias, address, VIN, IP address and online identifiers, email address, account name, SSN, driver’s license number and other government identifiers, or other unique personal identifiers.
Providing our Services
Safety, recall and warranty
Analyzing and improving our Services
Personalizing content and experiences
Marketing and promotional purposes
In support of our general business operations
Securing and protecting our rights
Complying with legal obligations
Customer records: paper and electronic customer records containing personal information, such as name, signature, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, SSN, driver’s license number, and other government identifiers, insurance policy number, financial account number and other financial or payment information and medical information.
Commercial information: including records of property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, vehicle ownership reports, or other purchasing or use histories.
Internet or other electronic network usage data: including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding a resident’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, including access logs and other usage data related to your use of any company websites, applications or other online services.
Geolocation data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.
Audio, video and other electronic data: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as, CCTV footage, photographs, and call recordings and other audio recording (e.g., recorded meetings).
Employment history: professional or employment-related information
Education information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
Profiles and inferences: including inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile reflecting a resident’s preferences, characteristics, behavior or attitudes.
California residents. If you are a California resident, please be sure to review the section Additional Information for California Residents below for important information, as required by California privacy laws, about the categories of personal information we collect and disclose and your rights under California privacy laws.
Additional Privacy Notices. We may also provide additional privacy notices for specific services, such as the [Hyundai Vehicle Owner Privacy Notice], which applies to and provides additional information about our collection, use and disclosure of personal information related to our vehicle technologies and services.
Personal Information. Personal information includes any information that identifies, relates to, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated, or reasonably linked or linkable with a particular individual or household. Personal information includes information that can identify you, such as contact information, vehicle ownership information, geolocation data, web tracking information, payment card information, and demographic data.
Not Covered by this Policy. This Policy does not apply to job applicants and candidates who apply for employment with us, or to employees and non-employee workers.
Our Services are intended for use and access by U.S. residents only. Hyundai does not knowingly collect, process, access or intend to access the personal information of persons residing outside of the U.S., including in Europe and China. If you do not reside in the U.S., you should visit the Hyundai-affiliated website that is applicable to your country or region.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of our Services or interactions with us. We may combine the information we collect from these various sources.
Sources of Personal Information. The personal information we collect varies depending upon the circumstances. For example, we collect personal information when you engage with Hyundai, its dealers, or its service providers directly, such as buying a vehicle, registering for a service or creating an account, requesting information from us, make part or service requests, participating in promotional activities, such as surveys, sweepstakes, contests, special events, blogs and chats, or when you contact us or otherwise voluntarily provide information to us.Hyundai also automatically collects usage data when you use Hyundai’s Sites and other Services. This may include via cookie data and web beacons; web analytics and log files; and vehicle, driver, and connected services usage data. Please see below for additional information regarding our collection of this type of information. Some of our Services may capture and record geolocation and general location data about your vehicle. If you visit a physical Hyundai location, we may use CCTV and other security monitoring to secure our premises, which may lead to the collection of personal information about visitors to our premises.
In addition, Hyundai may also obtain information about you and your vehicle in a number of other ways. For example, we may obtain information about you or your vehicle from vehicle sales records and other public sources, from Hyundai affiliates and business partners such as satellite radio and roadside assistance programs, and Hyundai dealers (which are all independently owned and operated) and other sources that provide us leads including lists of potential vehicle purchasers or current owners.
Categories of Personal Information. Certain privacy laws, such as the CCPA, require that we disclose the categories of personal information that we may collect about individuals. While the actual information we collect varies depending upon the circumstances, generally we may collect the following categories of personal information:
- Identifiers: such as a real name, alias, address, VIN, IP address and online identifiers, email address, account name, SSN, driver’s license number and other government identifiers, or other unique personal identifiers.
- Customer records: paper and electronic customer records containing personal information, such as name, signature, address, telephone number, education, current employment, employment history, SSN, driver’s license number, and other government identifiers, insurance policy number, financial account number and other financial or payment information and medical information.
- Commercial information: including records of property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, vehicle ownership reports, or other purchasing or use histories.
- Internet or other electronic network usage data: including, but not limited to, browsing history, clickstream data, search history, and information regarding a resident’s interaction with an internet website, application, or advertisement, including access logs and other usage data related to your use of any company websites, applications or other online services.
- Geolocation data: precise location information about a particular individual or device.
- Audio, video and other electronic data: audio, electronic, visual, thermal, olfactory, or similar information such as, CCTV footage, photographs, and call recordings and other audio recording (e.g., recorded meetings).
- Employment history: professional or employment-related information.
- Education information: education information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
- Profiles and inferences: including inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile reflecting a resident’s preferences, characteristics, behavior or attitudes.
Use of Personal Information
Hyundai uses the information collected above in a number of ways. And we may use your information individually or combine it with other information to generate aggregate statistical information. The primary uses of your information include:
- Providing our Services: to provide and maintain our Services; to improve our Services; to authenticate users; to perform technical operations, such as updating software; for recall purposes; to provide and communicate with you about our Websites, Services, vehicles and other products and services; to respond to your requests; to administer Events that you participate in; to fulfill your orders, and process your payments; to provide technical support; and for other customer service and support purposes.
- Safety, recall and warranty: for safety, recall and warranty purposes, such as to send recall notices, process recall and warranty claims, and for other purposes related to vehicle safety.
- Analyzing and improving our Services: to better understand how users access and use our vehicles and other products and the Services, for other research and analytical purposes, such as to evaluate and improve our Services and business operations, develop new features, products, or services, and to otherwise improve our Services and user experiences.
- Personalizing content and experiences: to tailor content we send or display on the Websites in order to offer location customization and personalized help and instructions and to otherwise personalize your experiences; to reach you with more relevant ads and to measure ad campaigns.
- Marketing and promotional purposes: to send you newsletters, offers or other information we think may interest you and contact you about our products or services or information we think may interest you, and to administer promotions and contests, and to promote other services we offer.
- In support of our general business operations: where necessary to the administration of our general business, accounting, record keeping and legal functions, including to analyze operational and business results and risks, to collect outstanding amounts owed, and maintain business records.
- Securing and protecting our rights: to protect our business operations, secure our network and information technology, assets and services; to prevent and detect fraud, unauthorized activities, access and other misconduct; where we believe necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding suspected violations of our Terms and other agreements with you, as well as fraud, illegal activities and other situations involving potential threats to the rights or safety of any person or third party.
- Complying with legal obligations: to comply with the law or legal proceedings. For example, we may disclose information in response to subpoenas, court orders, and other lawful requests by regulators and law enforcement, including responding to national security or law enforcement disclosure requirements.
Anonymous and De-identified Information. We also may de-identify information and create anonymous and aggregated data sets and reports in order to assess, improve, and develop our business, products, and services; prepare benchmarking reports; and for other research and analytics purposes.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We disclose personal information, in order to provide and improve Services, reach you with more relevant information and offers, for recall, warranty and safety purposes, to make available third party offers you may be interested in, with your consent, or as otherwise set out below:
- Affiliates: Hyundai may share your personal information with Hyundai Motor Company, our parent company headquartered in South Korea.
- Service providers and suppliers: We may disclose personal information to our vendors, service providers, suppliers, contractors or agents who use such data in order to perform functions on our behalf.
- Marketing partners and third parties: Hyundai may share personal information, including website user or vehicle owner information, with third parties including our affiliates, authorized dealers, and licensees. In addition, user or vehicle owner data may be used by our business partners, including marketing and promotional partners, to conduct joint marketing programs with Hyundai, show you advertisements about our products and services on third party sites, and to offer you other valuable products and services. We may share personal information, such as name, contact information and other data about your vehicles or interests, with our authorized dealers in your area so that they may contact you about your vehicle needs and purchase plans, or otherwise reach out to you for marketing purposes.
- Participating vendors: Some of our websites offer opportunities to make purchases online from special participating vendors. On websites with online purchase opportunities for products and merchandise, we may also give participating vendors the order information and authorization for the merchant bank. Any time you order from a participating vendor, that vendor will automatically have all the information related to the order. Participating vendors may use that information to advise you directly of other products and offerings that they provide.
- Credit card companies and payment services: In some cases, we use third party payment and transaction services to facilitate your transactions and process your orders. In such cases, we will share your personal information and credit card information with third party payment services companies solely for the purpose of completing the transaction or processing your order.
- Public postings: You should be aware that if you voluntarily disclose information, personal or otherwise, online in any community area (whether through Hyundai’s websites or any other service available online), that information can be collected and used by others. Accordingly, you should use caution when sharing any personal information or other sensitive information with others in any community area (whether through Hyundai’s websites or any other service available online).
- Business transfers: We may disclose and transfer personal information as part of any merger, acquisition, financing, sale of company assets or interests in the respective company, or in the case of insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership, including during negotiations related to such business transfers.
- Legal compliance: We may disclose your information to comply with applicable legal or regulatory obligations, including as part of a judicial proceeding, in response to a subpoena, warrant, court order, or other legal process, or as part of an investigation or request, whether formal or informal, from law enforcement or a government official.
Anonymized and Aggregated Data. We may share aggregate or de-identified information with third parties for research, marketing, analytics, and other purposes, provided such information does not identify you.
Categories of Personal Information Disclosed. Certain privacy laws, such as the CCPA, require that we tell you about the categories of personal information that we have disclosed for a business purpose as well as the categories that we have “sold”. Please review the section Categories of Personal Information Collected above for further descriptions of each category of personal information.
- Disclosed for a business purpose. In general, we may disclose the following categories of personal information for the business purposes described above: identifiers; customer records; commercial information; internet or other electronic network usage data; geolocation data; audio, video and other electronic data; employment history; education information; and profiles and inferences.
- Sold. The CCPA defines a “sale” as disclosing or making available to a third party personal information in exchange for monetary or other valuable consideration. While we do not disclose personal information to third parties in exchange for direct monetary compensation from such third parties, we do disclose or make available personal information to dealers for marketing purposes, as well as other third parties, in order to receive certain services or benefits from them (such as when we allow third party tags to collect information such as browsing history on our Sites) to improve and measure our ad campaigns, including: identifiers; customer records; commercial information; internet or other electronic network usage data; and profiles and inferences.
Cookies and Tracking
Cookies. We may collect certain preference information of website users through the use of HTTP cookies which are small files stored on your web browser in order to optimize the design of our websites. Cookies enable us to track and aggregate user behavior data so that we may better target the interests of our users and enhance their experience on our websites. You can set your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being sent. However, some website features or services may not function properly without cookies.
Web beacons. Some of our web pages, commercial email messages and/or newsletters may contain electronic images known as web beacons, which are also called single-pixel GIFs. Web beacons collect information including a cookie number, time and date of a page view and a description of the page on which the web beacon resides. Web beacons are a technique we may use to enhance and personalize the websites and the products and services we offer, to provide product information and advertisements that are more relevant to your interests, compile aggregated statistics about the usage of our websites and to track the number of users who have opened and acted upon our commercial email messages.
Log files. Like most websites, we collect log information to analyze trends, administer the sites, track users’ movement around our websites and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use in improving the websites. IP addresses are not linked to personal information.
Do Not Track. Our websites do not support Do Not Track at this time. Do Not Track (DNT) is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browser to indicate that you do not want certain information about your webpage visits collected across websites when you have not interacted with that service on the page. For all the details, including how to turn on Do Not Track, visit donottrack.us.
For more information or to opt out of third party advertising cookies and tags on our Sites, go to www.privacyrights.info/. You may also obtain more information about targeted or “interest-based advertising” by visiting the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance.
Opting out of participating ad networks does not opt you out of being served advertising. You may continue to receive generic or “contextual” ads on our Services. You may also continue to receive targeted ads on other websites, from companies that do not participate in the above programs.
Custom Audiences and Matching. We may share certain hashed customer list information (such as your email address) with third parties—such as Facebook and Google—so that we can better target ads and content to our customers, and others with similar interests, within their services. These third parties use the personal information we provide to help us target ads and to enforce their terms, but we do not permit them to use or share the data we submit with other third-party advertisers.
Individual Rights and Choices
You may access, delete and update certain of your personal information by accessing and adjusting your account settings, or by contacting us as specified below. Please note that we may maintain copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted, as permitted, in our business records and in the normal course of our business operations.
Opting-Out of Certain Communications. Hyundai offers you the opportunity to opt-out from receiving commercial email, calls, or mail from Hyundai about our products and services.
- You may opt-out of emails or manage your subscription preferences at any time by using the unsubscribe mechanism within any marketing email we send to you. Even if you opt out, we may still send you non-commercial emails, such as registration confirmation, vehicle updates, and responses to direct requests.
- You also may call, email, or write to us directly if you wish to opt-out or request that we cease sending you commercial or other information via call, mail or email. Such requests can be made by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, by calling (800) 633-5151 or by writing us directly at: Hyundai Customer Care, P.O. Box 20850, Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
Accessing and Updating Your Information. If you register for an account on MyHyundai.com, you can access and update certain information we have relating to your online account by signing into your account and going to the “My Account” section of the website. You may also update or delete your contact information by emailing us at email@example.com, by calling (800) 633-5151 or by writing us directly at: Hyundai Customer Care, P.O. Box 20850, Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850
If you have opted out of receiving future emails from us, we will implement your opt-out request within ten (10) business days of receiving the opt-out request. If you have opted out of receiving future promotional materials by regular mail, we will implement your opt-out request within a commercially reasonable time. In those instances, we will retain your information in a “do not promote” file in our database, and you will receive no further communications from us except as required by law.
California Residents. California residents have certain rights, under California privacy laws, regarding their personal information, which are set forth in the Additional Information for California Residents section below.
The Security of Your Information
We use security policies, procedures, and tools which are designed to safeguard the personal information we collect. However, the security of information transmitted through the Internet can never be guaranteed regardless of the level of security. We are not responsible for any interception or interruption of any communications through the Internet or for changes to or losses of data. Users of our Services are responsible for maintaining the security of any password, user ID or other form of authentication involved in obtaining access to password protected or secure areas of any of our website. In order to protect you and your data, we may suspend your use of any of the websites, without notice, pending an investigation, if any security issue arises. Access to and use of password protected and/or secure areas of any of the websites are restricted to authorized users only. Unauthorized access to such areas is prohibited and may lead to criminal prosecution or civil action.
Third Party Sites
We may offer links to or from our websites to other websites within the Hyundai family as well as to websites, services, and resources operated by third parties. We offer links to third party websites so that you can conveniently visit our vendors and advertisers or locate other content likely to be of interest to you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices, content or policies of websites operated by third parties and urge you to inquire about their privacy and information sharing practices before providing any persona information. In the event that you provide personal information to any third party website or service, you understand that Hyundai is not responsible for such third parties’ use or misuse of your personal information. You further acknowledge and agree that Hyundai shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such third party website, service, or resource.
We do not knowingly collect or maintain personal information from any person under the age of thirteen (13) as they are not of driving age. No parts of our products or services are directed to or designed to attract anyone under the age of thirteen (13).
How to Contact Us
This section provides information for California residents about their rights regarding their personal information, as required under California privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”).
Notice at Collection. We are required to notify California residents, at or before the point of collection of their personal information, the categories of personal information collected and the purposes for which such information is used.
Do-Not-Sell. California residents have the right to opt-out of our sale of their personal information. Opt-out rights can be exercised by visiting this page. We do not sell personal information about residents who we know are younger than 16 years old without opt-in consent.
Verifiable Requests to Delete, and Requests to Know. Subject to certain exceptions, California residents have the right to make the following requests, at no charge, up to twice every 12 months:
- Right of Deletion: California residents have the right to request deletion of their personal information that we have collected about them, subject to certain exemptions, and to have such personal information deleted, except where necessary for any of a list of exempt purposes.
Right to Know – Right to a Copy: California residents have the right to request a copy of the specific pieces of personal information that we have collected about them in the prior 12 months and to have this delivered, free of charge, either (a) by mail or (b) electronically in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily useable format that allows the individual to transmit this information to another entity without hindrance.
- Right to Know – Right to Information: California residents have the right to request that we provide them certain information about how we have handled their personal information in the prior 12 months, including the:
- categories of personal information collected;
- categories of sources of personal information;
- business and/or commercial purposes for collecting and selling their personal information;
- categories of third parties/with whom we have disclosed or shared their personal information;
- categories of personal information that we have disclosed or shared with a third party for a business purpose;
- categories of personal information collected; and
- categories of third parties to whom the residents’ personal information has been sold and the specific categories of personal information sold to each category of third party.
Submitting Requests. You may submit requests to us at https://owners.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/privacy/data-request.html In addition, you may make certain requests to us by contacting as at:] (800) 633-5151(toll free).
Discrimination and Incentives. The CCPA prohibits discrimination against those who exercise their rights under the CCPA and imposes requirements on any financial incentives offered to California residents related to their Personal Information. A business may offer financial incentives for the collection, sale or deletion of California residents’ personal information, provided it is not unjust, unreasonable, coercive or usurious, and is made available in compliance with applicable transparency, informed consent, and opt-out requirements. California residents have the right to be notified of any financial incentives offers and their material terms, the right to opt-out of such incentives at any time, and may not be included in such incentives without their prior informed opt-in consent.
Shine the Light. Under California’s Shine the Light law (Civil Code Section 1798.83), California residents with whom we have an established business relationship are entitled to request and receive, free of charge, once per calendar year, information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses in the previous calendar year. You may call (800) 633-5151 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy. We will provide the requested information to you at your email address in response. Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” law requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.